Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Dream

Hi, My name is Alicia.  I am a teacher, friend, dancer, sister, auntie, recovering addict, daughter, jewelry maker, chai lover, reality TV junkie, cat lover, believer, and a dreamer.

9 days ago I received some devastating news.  I was being released of my teaching job that I had since August.  I thought everything was going well at my job.  I had no hint or indication from my boss.  I teach in a transition program with adults age 18-21with disabilities.  I teach employment, post secondary options and life skills.  I really liked the program I work in and the staff I work with.  I was suppose to close on a house in 2 weeks.  What was I going to do?

I immediately started applying for jobs.  I just finished my coursework to get my license to be a work coordinator.  This license is not common in Minnesota.  It would have been helpful in my current job, but I decided I only wanted a work coordinator position or to work in a transition program.

I was really sad that I may not be able to buy my house.  I had just picked out appliances the day before.  I picked out paint colors.  I had purchased two prints and a rug for the living room.  Buying the house was going to make my finances tight, but I knew that I would be ok.

I knew buying the home would tie me to this house, the debt, the maintenance and the upkeep of it.

And I had a dream.

Since 2003, I wanted to go to China to teach for a year.  I felt like buying the house would be giving that up.

I decided to pursue my dream....I applied, I interviewed and I was offered a job!

What will I do?  Take the job?  Continue to look for another job here?  Buy the house or let it go?

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment